Well it’s been a long ride but as you can see I’m in the final stretch for Tea for Two:
As I metioned in my last post, I had intended to use my knitting machine for the skirt, but the machine that I had wasn’t the right gauge. So, I cast on my #2 circulars and trudged along. Fortunately, I was able to locate a used knitting machine and ribber attachment in the right gauge and got them for a good price, along with some other goodies! I will have it for the next skirt because I certainly don’t want to handknit another one of these babies, not anytime soon anyhow!
This outfit has definitely kept me occupied, but there wasn’t any interesting progress to show. I figured that posting pictures of my skirt in progress would be like posting pictures of a cake in various stages of baking. Who cares, right? In any case, my sincere apologies for my silence in the blogosphere. Hopefully this update will make up for it.
The only bits I have left to do are the right sleeve, the casing for elastic in the skirt, the crocheted trim around the bottom of the skirt and neckline, and sewing on the buttons. So my next post should come a lot sooner.
I should have this done in time for autumn. I know that it’s a springtime look but since autumn in Arizona is just like spring, it should do nicely.
It’s been a few weeks since I last blogged but I have been working diligently on Tea for Two as you can see here.
This is both the front and the back knitted in the round up until seven inches into the stockinette section. At that point I put the back on stitch holders and tacked the holders to the front so that the weight of the stitch holders wouldn’t pull on the garment. I separated the front and back here because the stockinette sections for the front and back are meant to be different sizes (9 inches for the front and 8 inches for the back). This is done to allow for the bust, to keep the ribbing in the front from riding up when worn.
This project has been a lot of fun to work, and the yarn is working out great. I steam pressed it which has given it a wonderful drape and accentuated the lace pattern. Yes, I did press the steam iron directly on the knitting. Normally that should not be done, but pressing this particular yarn brings out its best qualities.
I have decided to try to do the skirt on my knitting machine. We’ll see how that works out.
I wish I was a better photographer. We’ll just have to wait for Rob’s good pictures when this project is finished.
One interesting side note about Tea for Two: Raveler Mary Beth pointed me to this blog post which features a vintage knitted ensemble that bears a striking resemblance to Tea for Two. Don’t you think so? It would appear that the knitter even chose the same color as the one used in the Minerva pattern photo. I can’t help but wonder if she used this very pattern to make her garment, with the addition of some lovely modifications. Hmmm…
Until next time, happy knitting (and Happy Father’s Day too!)
Yay! Dunnellen is finally finished. This was my first vintage project and although it took a very lonnngggg time to complete, I am happy with the finished product. This was done on #1 needles and each vertical stripe had to be embroidered stitch by stitch. I think I chose one of the most time-consuming projects for my first try at vintage. Hopefully future projects will not take as long!
I am so very grateful to my talented friend Rob who took these pics. Capturing the colors of this sweater has for me been tricky, but Rob had no trouble at all – the mark of a true professional! Thanks, Rob!
Here is a shot of the full sweater:
and a close up:
I already have my next vintage project on the needles. I am working on Tea for Two by Minerva Yarns circa 1934.
Here is my latest ebay acquisition:
It’s always exciting to receive a new pattern book, but even more so when you find surprises tucked inside like this newspaper clipping:
There is no date on the clipping but judging from its yellowed appearance and the styles presented I would guess that it was tucked inside right around the time that this book was published in 1935. These are ads for patterns that can be obtained by mail order. One is for a crocheted hat and bag set. The other is a sewing pattern for a dress.
I love receiving these little bonuses! It provides a sense of history and makes you a part of the story. Another book that I purchased a while back had a fashion show program tucked inside:
Here’s the cover:
To go with this book:
These make me want to purposefully tuck little things inside of the pattern books for future generations to find…perhaps pictures of my finished garments (as I would have loved to find pictures of garments dotingly knitted by the original owners) or maybe some scraps of the yarn that I used to create the garments.
I have enjoyed knitting since I first learned as a teenager. My first job was in a craft store. They put me in the yarn department so it was inevitable that I would develop an interest in learning to knit or crochet. Collecting these old pattern books has opened up a whole new world of knitting possibilities for me, more than I would have imagined. There are many wonderful modern knitting patterns and so often I pored over my collection of Vogue Knitting magazines and various pattern books. Still do. However when I acquired my first vintage knitting book I was amazed and sat breathless as page after page of elegant fashions presented themselves to me. I had never imagined knitting at this level. The books presented three and four-piece outfits, not just a single sweater.
I also love these beauties because they are simultaneously fashionable and modest. With these dresses there is no need to layer with camisoles or tank tops. You can just put the dress on and you’re out the door.
I find knitting to be very relaxing and do not at all mind miles of fine-gauge stockinette. Perhaps I was made for vintage knitting. 🙂