Vintage Knitting and Knitwear from the 1930s

Tea for Two

Tea for Two Almost Done!

Well it’s been a long ride but as you can see I’m in the final stretch for Tea for Two:

As I metioned in my last post, I had intended to  use my knitting machine for the skirt, but the machine that I had wasn’t the right gauge.  So, I cast on my #2 circulars and trudged along.  Fortunately, I was able to locate a used knitting machine and ribber attachment in the right gauge and got them for a good price, along with some other goodies!  I will have it for the next skirt because I certainly don’t want to handknit another one of these babies, not anytime soon anyhow!

This outfit has definitely kept me occupied, but  there wasn’t any interesting progress to show.  I figured that posting pictures of my skirt in progress would be like posting pictures of a cake in various stages of baking.  Who cares, right?  In any case, my sincere apologies for my silence in the blogosphere.  Hopefully this update will make up for it.

The only bits I have left to do are the right sleeve, the casing for elastic in the skirt, the crocheted trim around the bottom of the skirt and neckline, and sewing on the buttons.  So my next post should come a lot sooner.

I should have this done in time for autumn.  I know that it’s a springtime look but since autumn in Arizona is just like spring, it should do nicely.


Tea for Two Coming Along

It’s been a few weeks since I last blogged but I have been working diligently on Tea for Two as you can see here.

This is both the front and the back knitted in the round up until seven inches into the stockinette section.  At that point I put the back on stitch holders and tacked the holders to the front so that the weight of the stitch holders wouldn’t pull on the garment.  I separated the front and back here because the stockinette sections for the front and back are meant to be different sizes (9 inches for the front and 8 inches for the back).  This is done to allow for the bust, to keep the ribbing in the front from riding up when worn. 

This project has been a lot of fun to work, and the yarn is working out great.  I steam pressed it which has given it a wonderful drape and accentuated the lace pattern.  Yes, I did press the steam iron directly on the knitting.  Normally that should not be done, but pressing this particular yarn brings out its best qualities.

I have decided to try to do the skirt on my knitting machine.  We’ll see how that works out.

I wish I was a better photographer.  We’ll just have to wait for Rob’s good pictures when this project is finished.

One interesting side note about Tea for Two:  Raveler Mary Beth pointed me to this blog post which features a vintage knitted ensemble that bears a striking resemblance to Tea for Two.  Don’t you think so?  It would appear that the knitter even chose the same color as the one used in the Minerva pattern photo.  I can’t help but wonder if she used this very pattern to make her garment, with the addition of some lovely modifications.  Hmmm…

Until next time, happy knitting  (and Happy Father’s Day too!)

Sandra


Dunnellen Finished!

Yay!  Dunnellen is finally finished.  This was my first vintage project and although it took a very lonnngggg time to complete, I am happy with the finished product.  This was done on #1 needles and each vertical stripe had to be embroidered stitch by stitch.  I think I chose one of the most time-consuming projects for my first try at vintage.  Hopefully future projects will not take as long!

I am so very grateful to my talented friend Rob who took these pics.  Capturing the colors of this sweater has for me been tricky, but Rob had no trouble at all – the mark of a true professional!  Thanks, Rob!

Here is a shot of the full sweater:

Photo by Robert Bruce

 and a close up:

Photo by Robert Bruce

I already have my next vintage project on the needles.  I am working on Tea for Two by Minerva Yarns circa 1934.

 
If you’d like to knit along, you can download the pattern here.
 
Here is a shot of that work in progress:
 
 
The yarn I am using is Wool Crepe Deluxe by Silk City Fibers and it is being worked on #2 needles.  The pattern calls for Minerva Velveen yarn which, as you can imagine, has long since been discontinued.  I’ve heard that Silk City’s Wool Crepe is a very close match and so far so good!  This pattern has been a lot of fun to work so far.  It’s just straight knitting, which is a welcome change after Dunnellen!  I imagine that by the time I’m bored with that and looking for more of a challenge then I’ll reach the lace part. 
 
I would love to hear from you  as well so don’t be shy about leaving a comment!  Until next time…
 
Sandra