Vintage Knitting and Knitwear from the 1930s

Dunnellen

Dunnellen Finished!

Yay!  Dunnellen is finally finished.  This was my first vintage project and although it took a very lonnngggg time to complete, I am happy with the finished product.  This was done on #1 needles and each vertical stripe had to be embroidered stitch by stitch.  I think I chose one of the most time-consuming projects for my first try at vintage.  Hopefully future projects will not take as long!

I am so very grateful to my talented friend Rob who took these pics.  Capturing the colors of this sweater has for me been tricky, but Rob had no trouble at all – the mark of a true professional!  Thanks, Rob!

Here is a shot of the full sweater:

Photo by Robert Bruce

 and a close up:

Photo by Robert Bruce

I already have my next vintage project on the needles.  I am working on Tea for Two by Minerva Yarns circa 1934.

 
If you’d like to knit along, you can download the pattern here.
 
Here is a shot of that work in progress:
 
 
The yarn I am using is Wool Crepe Deluxe by Silk City Fibers and it is being worked on #2 needles.  The pattern calls for Minerva Velveen yarn which, as you can imagine, has long since been discontinued.  I’ve heard that Silk City’s Wool Crepe is a very close match and so far so good!  This pattern has been a lot of fun to work so far.  It’s just straight knitting, which is a welcome change after Dunnellen!  I imagine that by the time I’m bored with that and looking for more of a challenge then I’ll reach the lace part. 
 
I would love to hear from you  as well so don’t be shy about leaving a comment!  Until next time…
 
Sandra

Dunnellen Update

I have been juggling quite a few projects lately and haven’t had much time to knit or blog.  However I did take some new pics of Dunnellen to share here.   I finished seaming the shoulders and sides and crocheted a line of trim for the plackets.  I am still learning crochet and found this yarn very tricky to use.  It is 100% bamboo as I wanted something cool and lightweight for summer.  However, since the bamboo isn’t spun tightly it tends to split.  This didn’t give me too much trouble while knitting, but the crocheting has been difficult.  I don’t think I will use bamboo for future vintage projects.  I ended up picking up and knitting the stitches for the plackets.  Now I’m cooking with gas.  I hope to have this one done very soon as other vintage projects are calling my name!

Plackets in Progress

 


Wrong Side

Drive by post of shot of wrong side.  This photo shows the colors better.  I’m still trying to figure my camera out.


Dunnellen

First up is Dunnellen. I actually started working on this sweater two years ago, long before I conceived of this blog project or even knew about Ravelry. “Two years!,” you may say. Yes, vintage patterns do take longer to complete because of small gauges. However, this project has taken me much longer than usual because I completed several other projects in between. You know how that goes. The good news is I am nearly done with this one. The knitting is complete. I am currently working on embroidering the vertical stripes on the various pieces. (The pattern instructions say to crochet the stripes, but I am not at all adept with a hook.)

This next photo shows my progress to date. I also have the back and one of the sleeves done.

I can’t show you the back at the moment because it is inside of this cabinet behind all of these boxes, along with several cones of mercerized cotton, baby alpaca and eyelash yarn. The eyelash yarn is left over from the early 2000s when “fur” yarn was all the rage. (The story behind the boxes is another post for another day.)

This next pic shows you what’s going on on the wrong side. Sorry about the blurriness. I will try to take a better close up tomorrow since everything is looking blurry to me right now since it’s past my bedtime.

Goodnight!